Sunscreen A Destroyer Or A Life Saver? | Chemical Vs Zinc Oxide Sunscreen
Skin is the chief organ of the human body. It acts as defensive covering and the way one treats it is very important to one’s health. However, majority treats it as unacknowledged organ and takes it for granted, covering it with products full of deadly chemicals day after day.
One of those products is the sunscreens. These have been in use from trivial times. The purpose of sunscreen is to block the ultraviolet radiations (harmful rays) from the sun. In order to avoid sun exposure, straight contact with sun and in some cases sunburn sunscreens is used. Direct contact with the sun causes skin cancer and aging of skin. However, a little exposure to sunshine is important for our bodies as it increase the level of vitamin D and elevates our mood. But beyond that, our immune system starts to suffer. So in order to prevent any trouble one needs to protect them by using sun blocks.
Chemical Vs Zinc Oxide Sunscreen
The beauty maniacs have not even left sunscreens from their jargon of molecular complexity. You’d find the markets flooded with a hundred types, featuring different SPF values and an array of organic and inorganic ingredients. Choosing between chemical and physical products can be overwhelming, based on their wide differences and mechanism of action, though a little insight into the details might prove to be very helpful.
Most of the sunscreens that honor your travelling kits are the chemical ones but also known as organic sunscreen because they use carbon compounds as their main ingredient. Although they are effective in preventing skin problems due to harmful rays of the sun, their penetration level is high and increase concentration in the blood can lead to hormonal disturbances. They may also be a cause of allergies to hypersensitive individuals because these products use artificial colors and fragrances.
ZINC OXIDE SUNSCREENS
Zinc Oxide is a naturally occurring mineral that is grounded to fine powder and then used in a new class of sunscreens – the physical or the inorganic ones. The question arises that what makes inorganic sunscreens better than the chemical ones. The answer is two-fold. Zinc Oxide sunscreen when exposed to sun rays do not disintegrate and exert their action on the skin for a longer period of time. Although they may have a slithery consistency, they are recommended by most dermatologists because they reflect all the sun rays striking the skin thus preventing their absorption into the dermis. Plus their organic ingredients make them devoid of all side effects.
Recommendations for choosing a safe sunscreen
Following strategies/guidelines are helpful in choosing the right sunscreen.
- If you are looking for the best skin friendly sunscreen then Always read information on packing before purchasing that either its titanium oxide and zinc oxide sunscreen, these are skin friendly ingredients which do not gets absorbed and also provide shielding affect against the Ultra Violet Rays.
- Look for natural mineral and non-Nano products. These products do not contain small particles that can soak into skin.
- Moreover, always pick the sunscreens that are without scent and herbal oils.
- Also, choose sunscreens based on lotion and are water resistance. Broad spectrum sunscreens are more effectively protective against UVA and UVB rays.
- Always buy natural & organic sunscreen and not to forget looking for EWG database. Sunscreen containing natural & organic elements are healthier for the skin. One must wear sunscreen having these ingredients when planning to stay out for longer.
Brands I Recommend and Also Approved By EWG
Below is the list of sunscreen brands which are absolutely causing no harm to the skin.
- MDSolarSciences: It is formulated without fragrance, 80 mins water resistant, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide sunscreen., Available in SPF 30, 40 & 50
- Badger: it is an organic sunscreen comes in wide range of SPFs. Best for babies, kids and active people. It comes without essential oils.
- Raw Elements: it is an organic sunscreen and non-GMO certified sunscreen.
- Sunology: Available in SPF 50 natural sunscreen, safe & effective active ingredients Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide sunscreen. Best for kids and face protection. water resistant upto 80 mins
- John Masters Organics: It is an organic sunscreen only available in SPF 30.
- Seventh Generation: It is available in SPF 30, retains up to 80 minutes of water activity, best sunscreen for babies
- Thinksport: Top rated by EWG database in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 for beach, athletes and kids (males and females). Available in SPF 50 Plus with 80 minutes water resistant, It can be used for extended exposure in sun.
- California Baby: Target endorses this brand. It is best for the people who have sensitive skin. It comes in SPF 18-30
The bottom line is that use an ounce of SP-30 over the body before going out and then reapply it after every one to two hours. Do not buy the sunscreen with dappled or shady ingredients and spread the word to the ones you love and care for.